All roads lead to…Athens! Feel the Greek essence of this fascinating city and see the best of it!
10 must-to-do-things in Athens
- It stands in heart of the city since the 5th century BC. It is no wonder that we call it the ‘’Sacred Rock’’. The majestic keeper of the city of Athens, Acropolis, built by the architects Ictinus and Callicrates, is the most beloved and one of the most popular destinations for every globetrotter. Featuring the brand new, awarded Museum of the Acropolis, it keeps a prominent place on the UNESCO World Heritage List of Historic Landmarks.
- Imagine taking a stroll in a Cycladic island town in the very center of the city. Does that sound unreal; we assure you, it is real! We would like to welcome you to Plaka, the picturesque neighborhood with its blooming bougainvillea, traditional kafeneion (local cafés) & taverns inside scenic alleyways offering delicious Greek food, a popular meeting point of Athenians.
- Go to the amazing flea market at Monastiraki. You will feel like a treasure hunter as every shop hides amazing vintage items and unique coins, age-old suitcase collections and much more!
- Wander around the numerous green spots of the city. Our best hidden gems are brimming with life. Don’t miss the Megaron, Numismatic Museum and of course the National Garden. The adventure has just started; take your friends or your sweetheart and cycle up the Philopappou Hill for the best panoramic view of the city!
- Kolonaki – indulge in window shopping. Have a specialty coffee in a modern bistro and then start your shopping therapy in high-end boutiques.
- Whether you are in the center of Athens or further up north, dip into local culinary delicacies in taverns, explore European-like deli spots or get a taste of fine gastronomy in Michelin-awarded restaurants!
P.S: If you’re a dedicated foodie like us, embrace the concept of brunch – Southern or Northern, Athens is bursting with amazing spots to have your cherished habit!
- If you need to escape from the hustle and bustle of the center, there is only one place; Athens has its own seaside paradise just a hop, skip and jump away and it’s called Athenian Rivera! Swim in crystal-clear waters, try water sports or simply have an afternoon stroll by the sea gazing at the mesmerizing sunset. Cosmopolitan flair in mega-yacht marinas, bustling nightlife, nice boutiques, elegant cafés reign supreme…
*Tip: Glyfada, Kalamaki, Alimos & Flisvos are the most known destinations along with Lagonissi – the majestic Cape Sounio with its impressive Temple of Poseidon being at the top of the list.
- Athenian skyline: have inventive cocktails in a rooftop bar of a 5-star hotel or have a sip of homegrown wine in a sophisticated wine bar!
- Attend a music concert in Megaro Music Hall (Opera House) or a Greek comedy/drama in the Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
- Explore the cultural side of Athens: National Archeological Museum, Benaki Museum, Goulandris Museum of Natural History, Digital Planetarium Eugenides Foundation, National Gallery Museum and much much more!
Cheers to a delightful journey!